Friday, January 28, 2011

Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion: 25 Years Later, A Still Painful Wound


I remember that day; I was in the middle of seminary. And on a day fourteen years later when I was preparing us to move after being forced out of the ministry I turned on the TV and watched the towers fall on 9/11/2001.

I had not put it all together until reading this article, how brutal these last 25 years have been. Add to it three wars and all the rest. The personal things I won't write about here.

Exhausted, discouraged, hanging on by a frayed thread, a very dimly burning wick.

Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion: 25 Years Later, A Still Painful Wound:

"'You say 'Challenger' and then we see that figure of smoke in the sky,' said Karioth, who teaches death and dying classes.

There has been a growing list of calamities since then.

Waco. Oklahoma City. Columbine. 9/11. Shuttle Columbia. Katrina. Virginia Tech. And now, Tucson.

With so much carnage, another space catastrophe wouldn't have the same impact as Challenger, Karioth noted. 'We're used to everybody dying now,' she said."